Thursday 11 August 2011

Choosing a VPS Host

I was informed by my web host that my website is using a lot of resources and is affecting other websites. I was advised to move to a VPS and my site was suspended. It's not the first time that it happen and my web host is unable to pin point the cause or provide me with the details as to what is the resource I am hogging. If I were to move to a VPS, I would need this information to do the appropriate sizing.

My main concern in choosing a VPS host is cost. Mine is a personal website and the average VPS cost US$50 on their lowest plan. My second concern is on the resource allocation. Although I do not have the details on my site's usage, I do not believe that I am using an exceeding high amount of resource - I have about 1,000 visitors a day. Hence, I want to find a VPS that offers the minimum resources so as not to waste my money on unused resources. Finally, is scalability. For example if you are a small site owner like me, you would welcome the option to increase your storage by denominations of 1GB rather than in blocks of 5 or 10GB. Of course support and money back guarantee is important but so much choices available, these are now the norm rather than a value add.

After some research, I narrowed down to these:

  1. Inmotion hosting: surprise surprise. This is actually my current web host. I do not deny that their service is pretty good but the lack of details is simply frustrating. As much as their technical support want to help me, I think they are bound by some secrecy act not to reveal the full details to me. Unfortunately, their VPS package is one of the most expensive around and I just couldn't afford it.
  2. Myhosting.com: The cheapest around and this is what I choose. However, they are not without it's flaws which I will explain later.
  3. HostGator: Price is very close to Inmtion and I would rather choose Inmotion at the same price.
*Tip: Check out for any discount code available - either from searching or asking their online sales team directly. You can find them in vpshostreviews.com

Prior to purchasing a VPS plan from Myhosting.com, I talked to their online sales. I would advice you to do the same to address your questions and also to get a feel of their 'support' structure. If you stay in the same country, pick up the phone and call them. Unfortunately I am staying thousands of kilometres away. I wonder why web hosts don't offer Skype support. Anyway, back to their online sales. I would agree with most of the recent comments I found on the Internet that their support is not really very knowledgeable - I asked how do I do a site migration and I was told that I can use the control panel to do it. When probe further, they point me to their knowledge base. I know they have a knowledge base, then what is their online support for? Even their command of their English is poor - I asked if there are any other information that I should know before I make a purchase. Their reply was thanking me for choosing myhosting.com. I was like duh. 

At US$13/mth for a VPS host (after discount code), the price is just impossible to beat.



2 comments:

  1. VPS is one of the best hosting platform to host a website and here some unique and informative points i got.Website Hosting

    ReplyDelete
  2. VPS is one of the best hosting platform to host a website and here some unique and informative points i got.Website Hosting

    ReplyDelete