Friday 9 September 2011

Migrating WordPress to a new server or host checklist

The purpose of the checklist is to ensure that I adopt a systematic approach and do not miss out any steps during the migration. There may be several methods to achieve each step but I want to keep it short and precise. I may discuss on the method used in a separate post.

As I am using a VPS, my checklist may be longer than those with a shared web host but most of the steps should be similar.

1. Add my existing domain to my new web host control panel.

2. Create a new cPanel account in my new host (use WHM).

3. Do a quick scan on the WordPress files and folders in my old host.
(I found out that I have a 300MB error log generated by my old host that can be excluded. This will save me time during download.)

4. Download ‘all’ files and folders from your old web host.
(Exclude any files not related to WordPress e.g. error logs as mention above)

5. Export MySQL database from my old host.

6. Create a new database in my new host.

7. Create a new database user with full privileges on my new host.

8. Assign that user to have full access to the new database.

9. Check the downloaded .htaccess file and edit if necessary.
Reference: http://digwp.com/2011/01/new-htaccess-permalink-rules/

10. Edit the downloaded wp-config.php with the new database name, user ID and password

11. Upload the download files and folders to my new host.

12. Import MySQL into the new database(new host).

13. Check the number of records in the new database(new host) is the same as the old database(old host).

14. In my new database, go to wp1_options and check/change the domain/path name:
-         Option ID 1: site URL
-         Option ID 39: home
-         Option ID 60: upload_path
Source: http://blog.triphp.com/how-to/how-to-move-wordpress-to-a-new-server-or-host.html

15. Update the name server(s) in my domain registrar

16. Wait in intervals of 4hours and refresh my local computer DNS.

17. Ping my domain name to check if it resolves to my new host's IP.

18. Once successful resolve to my new host, login to WordPress and cPanel.

19.  Do a quick check as a normal reader
-         Click on the post title
-         Click the "Read More" link.
-         Check the "Read the full article ->" correctly redirect to the author’s page

20. Configure cronjob in cPanel.

The last two steps are specific to my site only. Different owners will have their own quick checks. Also, a quick check is different from a comprehensive or full check where you check all your plugins, widgets, email etc. As long as my site is able to perform up to its basic function, it will give me enough time for a full/comprehensive test.

A final word of caution. I wrote this for migrating my personal site and I am not a full time blogger. Although you can still use this checklist for important/critical sites, I strongly recommend that you do not follow my list blindly and to add in your own points if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment